I know there is a possibility to access PRU under linux but as stated above
I DEFINITELY want to do some bare metal programming on the "naked" board.

I already checked out TI's StarterWare and I'm open to use uboot prior to
my own code...so I'll check the boards to find out what has to be changed
in order to use it on BBB.

Thanks for the information!