I decided to stick with the BBB and learn as much as possible- I am trying
to go one step further and try a different OS.

 I have tried many different things, and read everything I can on the
subject- but no luck.

 I can see the MLO files and Root files on the sd card, but when I try to
flash the bbb I get one of two things.

 1. is only the power light comes on, and nothing else.

 2. user 3 and 0 come on and stay on.

 I have tried 2 different 5v, 2 amp power supplies, and 4 different micro
SD cards. I must have tried 5-6 different images, deleting and
re-downloading each many times.

 I have tried micro sd cards factory new, some re-formatted to Fat, etc.

 What am I missing here?