I switched up to Kernel 3.12 and that certainly fixed my stability issues
with USB - haven't seen any USB related issues since then, wireless is
fine, 3G modem is fine, everything working. Unfortunately I've lost my
UARTs, but that's a different story and no doubt one that will resolve
itself as more time is spent on getting 3.12 to stable.

Certainly for anyone else having similar USB issues, there's a good chance
kernel 3.8 is the cause and kernel 3.12 is the solution