Dieter, you're right, linear regulators do waste a bunch of power.  Just
FYI, I took a *quick* look at the ADP1111 and it doesn't look to me like
it's going to have enough power for the BB.

I'm using the TPS63061.  It's a great part but the footprint isn't exactly
prototype friendly.  If you're interested, I have a small write-up and pic
of my board here <http://andicelabs.com/beaglebone-power-bar/>.

-Ron