My guess is that some piece of the kernel is setting PWR_EN low (see pages
15 & 16 in the TPS65217 Datasheet). This would explain the 1 second
duration of the off state.
The system could restart due to PWR_EN floating high.
It does not explain why connecting to the USB power prevents the random
reset.

The PMIC_POWR_EN is driven by the RTC module in the AM335x (see section
20.3.3.8 in the AM335x TRM).
Is there a difference in the way the 3.2 and 3.8 kernels handle the RTC or
sleep modes?