> Aside from hotplug there is nothing wrong with USB in kernel 3.8.x. I have
> even installed, and booted from a USB hard drive using 3.8.13-bone26.

Nope, not the case. My kernel was hanging, no logs, nothing on serial
console under 3.8.13. No hotplugging, good hub etc., no "babble interrupt"
- the console cursor just stopped flashing. I upgraded to 3.12, *no other
changes*, and finally started getting uptime > 48hrs (but my cape no longer
worked). Conclusion: 3.8.13 has multiple issues with USB, many of which I
see raised repeatedly on this list.

And I respectfully disagree that USB can be considered a "desktop feature"
in 2013.

I expected I'd annoy a few people with my post, and the replies are all
variations on:

* It's a hobbyist product, you expected it to work?
* It's open source, fix it yourself
* Go learn to use Linux

Which are the same arguments I have seen trotted out since I first
installed Linux back in 1995 (kernel 1.2.11, eek). The fact it's so much
better now than it was then is down to the efforts of many who thought that
position was unsatisfactory.

But ultimately you're missing my points. I come not to bury the Beaglebone
but to praise it - it's a great board, but there are aspects of it which
could be better and which I criticise only in the hope that my feedback
will prove constructive, namely:

1. A single board computer selling tens (hundreds?) of thousands of units
and designed to run Linux from the outset, apparently has no-one from the
company that designed it (and that presumably profits somewhat from its
sales) working on Linux. Community support only goes so far. If Robert
decides he has better things to do with his time, what then? This is a
computer, not an Atmel AVR, and it's reasonable to treat the OS as part of
the package.

2. If you're designing a board with the same price point and form factor as
the Raspberry Pi you can't claim it should only be brought by "hobbyists",
whatever that means. My hobby (and my career) is writing user-space
software, but I need a stable OS to do that, just like kernel developers
need stable hardware. You can't build on shaky foundations.

3. Angstrom was a poor choice. The BBB is capable of running Debian or
Ubuntu, both of which have hundreds of thousands more developer hours
behind them and  considerably better documentation and infrastructure as a
result. Just think how much quieter this list would be if all the "how do I
use ssh/python/configure my network adapter" questions were on the ubuntu
forums?

For my part I'm happy to sit on this list and answer the odd question in my
field of expertise, I'm happy to test kernels, and I'm happy to nominate
Robert C Nelson as man of the year for his voluntary efforts and to
fervently hope he's not hit by a bus. Stay safe, Robert :-)