From:  Anguel <anguel.stan...@gmail.com>
Date:  Friday, January 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM
To:  <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Subject:  Re: [beagleboard] Angstrom Abandoned for BBB? Rumor + a Rant

> On Friday, January 3, 2014 8:03:32 PM UTC+1, John Syne wrote:
>> Hi Anguel,
>>
>> Yes, I originally built the TI Graphics SDK and installed it on top of
>> Robert¹s Debian release, but now Robert has kindly added a SGX script which I
>> can confirm does the same thing.
>

> Sounds good. Today I wrote Robert's Debian 7.3 image to an SD card and
> successfully booted the BBB. Then I installed Debian's qt-sdk (which is Qt
> 4.8.2). Qt complained that it cannot find an X Server, so I first tried to
> install xserver-xfbdev (which is advertised as very lightweight) but this did
> not work for some reason. Then I installed LXDE and that worked out fine.
> Haven't tested thoroughly but I suspect that the 3.8.13 kernel in the Debian
> 7.3 image does not have 3D accelleration.
When you install SGX, you have 3D acceleration. The 3D examples are under
/opt. To run the QT app, I use the ­platform eglfs.

> Of course the native compilation, even at application level, takes a long time
> on the BBB. And I am still not sure which is the recommended way to
> cross-compile Qt apps on the BBB.
>
> If I have some time I will also have a look at Qt 5 with TI's Graphics SDK. I
> think Qt is very important for the BBB and is required by many people. For
> non-GUI tasks where fast response times are needed I still prefer a Cortex M3
> or M4 at bare-metal level :)
Have you tried Xenomai? I looked at using F28M35C Concerto devices and I
always seemed to run out of memory when adding all the pieces I needed such
as network stack, security, etc.