Thanks.  The drives can also be externally powered if they come with a Y
usb cable where one leg of the Y goes to the board/computer and the other
leg plugs into a usb power supply/wall wart.  On Amazon it's hard to tell
which ones come with a Y cable.  This one does, for
example: http://goo.gl/nZMXvU