Sounds like fun. The idea of being able to run a swap partition in this
instance sure does seems nice. In fact the drive I used to test the
material for the article I wrote: I forgot to add a swap partition. So I
created a swap file with dd . .  .it seems to work just fine.

For what it is worth. For my own ideal development environment I prefer to
netboot. Simply because I have the added horsepower of my "desktop" system,
and the ease of moving things around without having to interact with the
BBB directly. Generally this means that single non system files I can copy
over on the fly and test, while system directories or files can be done on
the fly, but *will* require a reboot. Plus the added benefit of using "non
destructive" media.

Have fun with your exploration :)