Hi,

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:25:14 AM UTC+2, c...@isbd.net wrote:

> All the examples and libraries (Python mostly) that I can find for
> doing IO to the GPIO pins seem to handle only a bit at a time.  This
> is fine for things like driving relays and LEDs but makes little sense
> for 8-bit data.

Taking your example. If we are talking about a device you want to connect
to your beagle user space should not know how you talk to it physically and
whether it's 8-bit data or i2c or something else underneath. Having said
that there was/is some attempt to do what you want in kernel space [1] and
it's called block GPIO [2] but I don't think it made it into mainline.

Regards,

Robert

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/533632/
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/533557/