I bought this board a bit on a whim, so I don't have my usual embedded
supplies on hand (e.g. a 5V power supply). I'll give it a go as soon as I
get my hands on one. But basically, the only feedback I can get from the
board are the activity LEDs (U0-3), which are blinking as prescribed.

Yeah, I think Angstrom will be replaced by either embedded Ubuntu or
Fedora. Should I perhaps try to flash a fresh OS image onto the board?