Dennis,
I am not sure what you mean by "BBB panics", but I can tell you that I have
been upgrading my kernel using the new Debian eMMC flasher image.  I have
done it on several BBBs so far with no problem....

*Before the procedure:*
uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone41 #1 SMP Tue Mar 4 22:51:47 UTC 2014 armv7l
GNU/Linux

*Then Update Kernel:*

   - cd /opt/scripts/
   - git pull
   - ./tools/update_kernel.sh --beta-kernel
   - reboot

*And after the procedure:*
uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.13.6-bone7 #1 SMP Sat Mar 8 01:11:45 UTC 2014 armv7l
GNU/Linux

Hope this helps....
-frenchy

--