I have seen this problem repeatedly by A6 revision hardware, but not with
revision A5C hardware (I am running exactly the same software on both).

Noteworthy is that the "PHY problem" only appears when powering the BBB via
the headers. Powering via USB does not give any problems.

I tried the following:
-Use the kernel from the v3.8.13-bone40  image
-Change some lines in davinci_mdio.c to hardcode the mask to 0
("desperately scan all phys")

Both tries weren't lucky. It seems to me that the CPU cannot find the PHY
chip, because it never powers up.