I know that you did say this was for Debian, and as stated before I'm using
Angstrom.

Any things you can think of that would be gotchas?  For instance the
location of uEnv.txt is in /boot, not /boot/uboot.  So I'm adapting the
script, but creating a /boot/uboot subdirectory to copy and place the
zImage, initrd.img and any other files.  What I've also run into is that
Angstrom doesn't have update-initramfs, so I was figuring to install that;
it requires that I reconfigure from private network to DHCP and run opkg.
But wondering if I'd be heading down a bad direction by trying to adapt
that script if it really would match my intent but the intended system is
different enough that the details need a lot of changes.