The odd part is that it is not going into power save....not really.  The
Dell monitor will go into power save mode if the video being supplied is
out of range.  I tried shutting off power save mode first and that did
nothing.  I have a .xsessionrc file and it already contains what you
suggested.

I tried  swapping cables while it was up and running.   When I did that,
the monitor briefly displayed what looked like a double image (side to
side) and then went into powersave mode.

I was wrong about the image URL I used.

Here is the URL

http://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.4-2014-03-27-2gb.img.xz

So what I did was add "xhost +" to the .xsessionrc file

Then I logged in and did the following:

# export DISPLAY=:0
# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 640 x 480, maximum 2048 x 2048
HDMI-0 connected 640x480+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
518mm x 324mm
   1920x1080      24.0
   1280x720       50.0     60.0
   720x576        50.0
   720x480        59.9
   640x480        59.9*

In the middle of this I tried a few things and found a work around.

I added
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto

to .xsessionrc  Now I have a reasonable X desktop.

We can mark this solved..

Richard