Hi All,

Here's my latest update regarding building a 3.13.9-bone9 bootable image.
Again, I want to thank Robert Nelson, Jason Kridner and everyone that has
contributed to the BBB/Debian effort. This was a big improvement for me.

I did get Debian 3.13.9 running last night. I am trying to integrate
devices with the BBB and it was recommended that in order to complete the
integration I should perform the build and upgrade. But first I needed to
put together the cross compiler development platform. I didn't didn't have
one other than Windows 7, Eclipse, GNU toolchain and Putty. I went the dual
boot route by adding Ubuntu to may second SSD.

As mentioned above I tried to perform the steps outlined in this link
http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Feewiki.net%2Fdisplay%2Flinuxonarm%2FBeagleBone&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEwYowZjJO6C-bh6KfJg0oJU-g62A>
 .
The difficulties I had are documented earlier in this thread. Those issues
were part of my learning curve and having the correct packages loaded in
the correct directory structure. I own those issues.

However, in those instructions there are patches applied to u-boot. After
the patch, many environmental variables are set in AM335x_evm.h. Some of
those variables are load addresses for zImage. Other variables are
defined/set in uEnv.txt. This was important all day yesterday because
u-boot wouldn't load the zImage or fdtload. It can become confusing trying
to understand the uImage/zImage concept when you go back and forth between
the code and running uboot. BTW, none of this troubleshooting would have
been possible without at least a serial -> USB converter and Putty running
a serial connection. Need to learn u-boot as part of the process as well.
Using printenv and comparing the environmental variables to the values
defined/set in the u-boot patch (AM335x_evm.h) was insightful.

So, to finish the build discussion, I ended up using ./build_kernel.sh and
./install_kernel.sh. I think ./install_kernel.sh is still a work in
progress as can be determined by looking at the conditional code
surrounding zImage. But it works and the pesky edits and cp -v of fstab,
inittab et. al. found in the '//eewiki.net/' are now included in the shell
(build/install). Life is simpler for that. But........let's go back to the
patches referenced in the '//eewiki.net/' link that are applied to u-boot
and also to uEnv.txt.

In a nutshell, variables such as loadaddr are set in AM335x_emv.h if you
apply the patch. Yet they appear to be changed in uboot when you compare
the contents of the dump when you perform printenv. It was interesting
because according to uboot quit with the unable to load zImage running from
the uEnv.txt command file. Interesting because some of those variables
aren't defined or set in uEnv.txt and are different than what was defined
in the u-boot patch. What was more curious was the skeletal uEnv.txt
command file from the wiki link. At the end of the day, here's how I got
things to work. I booted my Win7 machine and copied the latest Debian build
(v3.8) to one of my SD cards. I ran my BBB to check that it worked.
Shutdown my BBB and removed the card. I rebooted my development platform
out of Win7 and into Ubuntu. Placed the sdcard into a reader and compared
the uEnv.txt file in the ~/linux-dev/deploy path against what was on the
sdcard. Well, I almost fell out of my chair.

I had a "I wonder if" moment and copied the uEnv.txt file from the sdcard
(w/Debian v3.8) to my desktop and then swapped sdcards (w/Debian v3.13.9)
and copied the much different  uEnv.txt file from my desktop to the sdcard.
After placing the sdcard into the BBB I started the BBB. Now everything
booted correctly (Debian v3.13.9).

I hope that someone benefits from my mistakes and my discoveries.