Hi William,

I boot the BBB from the SD card but I purchased the Adafruit debugging
cablehttp://www.adafruit.com/products/954.<http://www.adafruit.com/products/954>At
 first I was using Win7(64) and downloaded a copy of Putty for uSoft. The
default settings for the BBB serial port is 115.2 Kb, 8 data bits,no
parity, 1 stop bit and no handshaking. In putty create/load/save a profile
for the serial port you are connected to. You can see which one by looking
in control panel device manager serial ports. The com port you need will be
connected to a Prolific USB to Serial bridge.

The physical connections from the cable to the BBB are

BBB       Wire        Function
Pin 1      Black      Signal Ground
Pin 4      Green      Receive
Pin 5      White      Transmit

I did the same thing in Ubuntu but the serial port is /dev/ttyUSB0 with the
port configuration settings the same. In Ubuntu, from a terminal enter sudo
putty prior to starting the BBB.

It's a must have setup to debug u-boot and capture the kernel boot. U-boot
is a piece of work all to itself. But if you know how to use it you can
back drive the information you get from it to the area in uEnv.txt and the
boot loader. Once the kernel is started the kernel messages reflect what
you can get from dmesg after you log into the BBB. Yes it is very
interesting and exciting/fun.

I keep the serial cable connected all the time and my other work is done
through the network connections. I use tightvncserver on the BBB and
tightvncviwer on the pc for a remote desktop session or Cloud-9 from google
chrome as advertised on BB website.

Hope I helped.

Mike