On 4/28/14, 11:33 AM, "Britton Kerin" <britton.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Timbo <tim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Either there is a bad connection somewhere between the barrel jack and
>>the
>> header pins (unlikely), or one of the power supplies is causing the
>>problem.
>> I would check the resistance between the jack contacts and the
>>corresponding
>> header pins, and then try powering via the headers with the known-good
>> supply.  If that's ok, then (with the load connected) look for sag and
>> ripple on the other supply.
>
>Well, its the supply.  In some hideous way that I can't figure out how
>to measure.
>
>It works fine going straight from a wall wart to the header.
>
>The on-board 12V to 5V supply *looks* fine, it shows up a totally
>clean 5V on the scope, no noise that I can measure.  There's 220 uF of
>output filter.  But somehow 500 kHz triangular fuzz is showing up on
>the bone IO pin -- exactly the switching frequency of the step-down
>switcher.
Thinking about this, perhaps this is just simple pickup from your
oscilloscope probe. This happens if you have a long ground wire on your
probe. Connect the tip of the probe to your ground wire and move your
probe over your power supply. If you still see the 500KHz ³fuzz², then you
need to use a shorter ground wire.

Regards,
John