*I cannot even remember why we went down this road. *

Me either. except that the OP was concerned about making hardware
modifications to his/her board, and by extension having others do the same.
Something about ARCH Linux not working in this context, when I know that it
does.

All i really wanted to stress is that reconfiguring the BBB hardware should
not have to be done.