Hi,

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 3:50:39 PM UTC+3, nath...@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> I'm specifically looking for something that gets into embedded
> kernel/driver development using the BBB.  I don't have a ton of embedded
> linux experience, although I've played around with it some.  The idea is
> that we hope to be migrate from a legacy RTOS to an embedded linux
> environment.

Hmmm. I would really recommend to try to understand how (Embedded) Linux
works before jumping into kernel/driver development. If you don't
understand the system architecture and start it like what you are used to
from your legacy RTOS it will most likely be wrong. And with respect to
kernel/driver development I also would start with Linux drivers in general
before looking into BBB specifics. To get started - and some more - with
kernel and drivers I would recommend (besides my own trainings) this[1].

I am __NOT__ a big fan of mapping layers, but with Xenomai [2] you might be
able to partially move over code from the legacy RTOS to Linux.

Do you have real-time requirements?

What distro do you plan to use on the BBB? [3]?

> Somewhere in the U.S. preferably.

My trainings are offered world wide on-site. But for a just a few trainees
(which is most likely your case) you could avoid my travel expenses with an
instructor driven remote training. For such cases I host all the equipment
in Europe and you access it remotely. A trainee gets access to a Linux
machine with cross compiler and stuff which also exports kernel/fdt over
tftp and the rootfs over nfs. The console of the target board is accessible
and once it runs you can also ssh into it.

Regards,

Robert

[1] http://eudyptula-challenge.org/
[2] http://www.xenomai.org/