I've read about capes that offer batteries to operate the BBB during power
interruptions. I've read that there is a RTC in the SoC, but software does
not support powering with a button cell. I see there is a PMIC onboard, as
well as solder pads to allow attachment of a battery. I've also read that
improperly powering-down the BBB can result in corrupt data/OS/eMMC/uSD.

My question: shouldn't it be possible to add just a tiny Li Ion battery
using the solder pads, and with minor modifications (in userland?) sense
when 5v power has been removed (USB client or 5v barrel jack), and then
initiate an orderly, but immediate, shutdown? The small battery would be
enough for the few seconds until full power down, preventing any memory
corruption.

This seems so simple I must be missing something. My goal is to be able to
have my BBB project on a timer. Power will be applied/removed based on a
rough schedule, an external RTC will provide correct time, and cron will be
used to run what's needed. When power is removed, the system would be
properly stopped.