No, you don't need a monitor you should be good.
You can always check this site for your chipset :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers
also type dmesg to see if you have any errors
type lsmod to see if your kernel module is loaded
But ra0 is your network interface name and iwlist shows it which means you
have your dongle recognized.
Have you initialized you network interface?  Type "ifconfig -a" to check if
you have ra0 listed.If so, add this to your /etc/network/interfaces and
reboot to and check again.

auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid YOUR-SSID-HERE