I have generally been delightedly following the Robert Nelson's debian
kernel builds.

https://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf

and the day came where I wanted to try out a tiny patch adding BQL support
to the beaglebone black. There is something of a huge gap between the
available and largely conflicting data on the internet as to how to build a
kernel properly and the lovely debs he provides.

It's a really tiny patch, (5 lines). My hope would be to see network
latency on the beaglebone improve dramatically with it and fq_codel.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/0001-Add-BQL-support-to-cpsw-beaglebone-driver.patch

But assembling all the pieces to actually build a kernel the right way
elude me. Right now I'm trying to cross compile using an armeabihf
toolchain, and not having figured out how to create a .deb file to use...
link to how to cross compile a .deb kernel build??

OR:

... if there's someone out there daring enough to try something that might
help networking, but might also lock up the networking interface in this
first test, AND can patch and build a working kernel... I'd love to see
this patch tried.

A bit about BQL:

http://lwn.net/Articles/454390/