On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM, John Syn <john3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM
> To: <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: [beagleboard] Adding Byte Queue Limits: debian kernel build recipe?
>
> I have generally been delightedly following the Robert Nelson's debian
> kernel builds.
>
> https://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf
>
> and the day came where I wanted to try out a tiny patch adding BQL support
> to the beaglebone black. There is something of a huge gap between the
> available and largely conflicting data on the internet as to how to build a
> kernel properly and the lovely debs he provides.
>
> It's a really tiny patch, (5 lines). My hope would be to see network latency
> on the beaglebone improve dramatically with it and fq_codel.
>
> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/0001-Add-BQL-support-to-cpsw-beaglebone-driver.patch
>
> But assembling all the pieces to actually build a kernel the right way elude
> me. Right now I'm trying to cross compile using an armeabihf toolchain, and
> not having figured out how to create a .deb file to use...
> link to how to cross compile a .deb kernel build??
>
> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black
>
> Build the kernel as shown and then add your patch (either add it to the
> /KERNEL directly or add it as a new patch in /patches and update patch.sh).
>
> tools/rebuild_deb.sh
>
> Regards,
> John

Thank you! with that recipe I was able to build a 3.15 kernel with
a minimum of twiddling, and prove that that patch was buggy
a few minutes later (crashes in cpsw_tx_handler). :(

What I'm observing is 32+ms worth of queueing in the ethernet driver
under load, at 100mbit, which can easily be cut to 2ms or less with BQL.

> OR:
>
> ... if there's someone out there daring enough to try something that might
> help networking, but might also lock up the networking interface in this
> first test, AND can patch and build a working kernel... I'd love to see this
> patch tried.
>
> A bit about BQL:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/454390/

Dave Täht