On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Brian Anderson <b...@nwlink.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to setup a BBB to boot via TFTP and mount a rootfs via NFS.
>
> I am using Robert Nelson's 2014-08-05 Debian lxde release image.  I've
> examined the nfs-uEnv.txt in the boot partition and had a brief look at how
> the various environment variables interact with the default uboot setup.
> With the latest BBB uboot setup, it appears that TFTP boot and NFS rootfs
> functionality are now "packaged" together.
>
> I've also read William Herman's guides to setting up to boot via TFTP and
> mount the rootfs using NFS.  Whilst helpful, these guides are now a bit
> dated (published June 2013) with respect to the latest uboot default setup.
>
> I have setup a VirtualBox image running Linux Mint on my MAC.  I have
> configured this image to be a NFS server and have arranged to export a
> rootfs (copied from a uSD card flashed with a disk image or created directly
> from RCN's rootfs tarball).  I have also configured TFTP on this image.
>
> My questions:
>
> Where/how do I obtain a "zImage" to boot using TFTP?  Is this simply the
> vmlinuz-xxx image in the /boot partition of the rootfs? (Running the "file"
> command on a vmlinuz image reports it to be a " Linux kernel ARM boot
> executable zImage (little-endian)".)

Correct, just rename vmlinuz as zimage and dump into your /TFTP/ directory..

zImage (u-boot name) = vmlinuz (kernel output name)

Also copy the (.dtb's) int /TFTP/dtbs/*

> Unlike the normal so-called "uname" boot, the nfsboot setup does not appear
> to use an initrd ramfs image.

initrd ramfs's just don't work with nfs root... It'll hard lock on
bootup.. Thus it's disabled..

> What function does this file system provide?
> What impact, if any, does the lack of an initrd image have on a system
> booted via TFTP and running a rootfs via NFS?
>
> In this new setup, what are the best practices for updating the kernel?
> Given this setup, is it advisable to arrange to mount a user home directory
> via another NFS share to support development?  Or would it be better to
> include the user home directory as part of a single (rootfs) NFS mount to
> keep things simple?

Install like you normally do... Just make sure on the server side to
update the new vmlinuz -> zImage and *.dtb's into the /TFTP/
directory. (Since the tftp directory could be anywhere, i really
didn't write a script for the bbb to handle it..)

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/