William,

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, I am in the same position as you...a year
on.  I've not touched Linux in any serious way for a long time.  I have
been involved in a number of commercial deployments that target
CentOS/RHEL.  My role was that of a Java server developer, so I didn't get
all that close to the metal.  I am just recently coming off of 3 years of
serious Android development work and hoping to transition to some embedded
stuff (Android and/or embedded Linux) professionally over the next couple
of years.  So, I do appreciate your input.

FWIW, I am thinking that things _might_ have changed a bit since you last
looked.  I'm using Mint-17 self described on their release page as:

    Linux Mint 17 features Cinnamon 2.2, MDM 1.6, a Linux kernel 3.13 and
an Ubuntu 14.04 package base.

Apparently this is not LMDE...that is a different distribution that the
Mint folks offer (and yes, that is still Debian testing, assuming jessie).
I remember reading up on Mint changing directions a bit in the not too far
distant past, concentrating on improving UI on top of a core Ubuntu
distro.  So far, so good.  Nice UI, performant enough.  No problems with
package conflicts.

Regarding the usbnet stuff, I read your response to be that usbnet offers
the potential for a higher bandwidth connection than available over the
Ethernet jack on the BBB.  Correct?  All other things being the same?  That
is, NFS rootfs mount, TFTP, ...

Cheers,

ba