So you're trying to make a device tree file for the beaglebone black and
not recompile a kernel ?

I have no idea why John has you off recompiling the kernel when all you
need is a simple cape disable line in uEnv.txt for the eMMC. Depending on
what kernel version there are a few different ways to go about this.