From:  halfbrain <adrian.mitev...@gmail.com>
Date:  Monday, September 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM
To:  "beagleboard@googlegroups.com" <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Subject:  Re: [beagleboard] Can "allocated pins" on BBB be used as GPIOs ?

> I'm using Derek Molloys device Tree overlays and I'm running debian... I can't
> find the folder on my bbb .
>
> But I found the "am335x-bone-common.dtsi
> <https://github.com/derekmolloy/boneDeviceTree/blob/master/DTSource3.8.13/am33
> 5x-bone-common.dtsi> " in
> https://github.com/derekmolloy/boneDeviceTree/tree/master/DTSource3.8.13 which
> I have on my bbb. I've commented out the section you mentioned but nothing
> changes. Without using or declaring the I2c2 pins in my Device Tree Overlay
> I'm able to use all unallocated pins as GPIO Inputs as I declared them in my
> Device Tree Overlay.
>
> Did i change the wrong am335x-bone-common.dtsi
> <https://github.com/derekmolloy/boneDeviceTree/blob/master/DTSource3.8.13/am33
> 5x-bone-common.dtsi> .? Is there another one elsewhere on the debian
> distribution or do i have to copy the changed file into a specific folder?
You need to follow:

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-LinuxK
ernel

After the kernel has built, you will see a KERNEL folder which includes the
complete Linux Kernel. In that folder, go to /arch/arm/boot/dts and edit the
am335x-bone-common.dtsi file. After that, return to the bb-kernel folder and
run tools/rebuild.sh script. The build results will be in the deploy folder
which you need to copy to your sdcard/³nfs folder².

Regards,
John