Thanks for the pointer David.  I'd reviewed that before, but hadn't noticed
the extra steps at the bottom.  Unfortunately, those still don't get 24 bit
video going (per fbset).  So, I'm still wondering if anyone knows if the
tilcdc in 3.8.13-bone50 kernel is supporting 24 bit modes, or if I need to
get a different video driver.