On 9/18/14, 11:58 AM, "Robert Nelson" <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM, neo <prag.in...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi William
>>
>> If you are counting the PRU yes, but technically they are not
>>processors but
>> more of peripherals/programmable controllers. Connect me if i am wrong.
>
>There's other "processors" then the main Cortex-A8 core.. You got the
>gpu and the Cortex-M3, both of which you can off load "tasks" too..
>(The M3, does pm..)
Yeah, but this is all unrelated to the stability issue. When Charles talks
about SMP safe, he is really talking about re-entrant safe code. With
PREEMPT, the big kernel lock was broken up to improve the Interrupt
latency. Now drivers have to ensure that variables/structures that are
accessed from both the kernel code and interrupt context are protected or
a race condition will occur. As Charles said, some of the third party
drivers havenĀ¹t been updated to make them safe. Most of these are fixed by
following good programming practices that kernel gatekeepers enforce, but
old drivers only get fixed when they are updated.

Regards,
John