Linux SMP *IS* portable across architectures, and *MOST* of the problems
*ARE* gone.  The Linux kernel on whole is much better code than before
PREEMPT was merged.

These days problems are generally caused by ARCH and SoC specific
drivers (like HDMI, SD/eMMC, USB, etc), where the folks writing them
might not have the experience of the primary kernel maintainers.  Also,
the drivers don't get near the "wringing out" of more common hardware,
so it more common to find "lurking" bugs when enabling PREEMPT.

In an ecosystem like ARM, which has mostly been single-core (until
recently) and had *LOTS* of different folks of varying ability writing
drivers, it's going to take a while before _everything_ is truly SMP
safe and you can enable PREEMPT with no more concern than you would on
an x86.

char...@steinkuehler.net