Just thought I'd add an update to my findings here, if to only benefit
those in the same boat as me.

It looks like Device Tree Overlays are what I'm looking for.
Adafruit have written a nice little guide of this here
<https://learn.adafruit.com/introduction-to-the-beaglebone-black-device-tree/overview>
.

I must admit, little parts of it go over my head at the moment, but it is
1:20am after a long day at work. After a couple re-reads and trial and
error, I'm sure it will sink in.

There is also a nice guide to Device Tree Overlays here
<https://learn.adafruit.com/introduction-to-the-beaglebone-black-device-tree/overview>.

This link is also referenced in the Adafruit guide.

Luckily for me, Adafruit discuss pins P9_24 & P9_26 in their example!
Although it is for enabling UART1... but close enough.