Searching around a bit, I wonder if an old u-boot version might have
anything to do with it? From what I can tell, I'm still using an u-boot
release from 2013.07 . Should I be updating this? If so, what would be the
safest way to do so?
In /boot/uboot/tools, I noticed a couple of scripts (bootloader_update,
update and update_boot_files). Would any of these work or should I get a
more recent version?