I suspect it is a problem with your dtbo file.  I believe that some of the
dtbo files that used to be installed in /lib/firmware have been essentially
compiled in to the kernel in an attempt to fix some other issues.  My dtbo
for my XBee cape is still in /lib/firmware and it works fine.  Doesn't
automatically load off EEPROM at boot, but the running "echo
XbeeFullCape0001>/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots" as root works.