Hi,

I have a simple C program which writes something to a serial port and then
reads an answer, every 5 ms or so. I'm using an FTDI USB-to-RS232 adapter
connected to BBB at 115200 bps. In 3.8.13-bone63 this works fine, but there
are some reasons I need to use a later kernel. I upgraded to the
3.14.22-ti-r31 kernel, where my program freezes the user space completely
after a couple of seconds. Unplugging the USB adapter makes everything run
again (but of course my program closes since the serial port is no longer
there). Nothing special in dmesg. I then upgraded to 3.14.26-ti-r43, where
the problem is slightly different, appearing after several minutes to an
hour or so, and not freezing completely, making everything just incredibly
slow (softirq's use about 70 % of CPU time according to top). Closing my
program brings everything back to normal. Then I tried 3.18.2-bone1, where
it works again correctly.

I see that bone-kernels have DMA disabled in USB, but I also tried
use_dma=0 module parameter with 3.14.26-ti-r43 and it didn't help. I'd use
3.18.2, but unfortunately dtb-rebuilder doesn't have a branch for that
kernel, and I need to modify the GPIO's a little. The .dtb-file for 3.14.26
doesn't boot with 3.18.2.

So,
1) Is there something I could try to make it work on 3.14-ti kernels?
2) Is there an easy way to create a custom dtb for the 3.18-bone kernels?

Thanks,
Matti