Hellow Martin.

On 2015-01-15 17:43, martin.zol...@spotme.com wrote:
> I'm just wondering if Andrew's autoboot solution/hack hasn't
> propagated to the official software yet? It's been a while that I
> haven't looked at the preinstalled software of a BBB since I get
> them pre-flashed with my own image...

I haven't looked that much either since I settled on using the, then
latest, Debian 7.5 build from 2014-05-14 as base for our production
systems (which is still in limited deployment testing stage though).

But I see that this build is still regarded as the latest.

> The official Angstrom image releases for BBB seem to be at
> http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Updating_The_Software (the page
> title is slightly misleading).

- From my perspective that page and Ångström is obsolete!

Debian is touted everywhere on the official pages as the most recent
distribution and also the one flashed on current BBB production HW
(look at http://beagleboard.org/latest-images instead).
Also it is my experience that Debian is a lot easier to work with and
has fewer issues than the Ängström images.

It seems like this is the documentation on the official Beagleboard
Debian images complete with testing builds (most recent is 2014-12-31);
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian. It also points
to how you can roll your own from github here;
https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.

I'll try this out, and prepare a patch for Roger et. al. if it isn't
there yet.

> Changing the upstream u-boot source probably doesn't make sense
> since the issue does not apply to other am335x-based systems.

Well, it wont't hurt them, just delay boot(!) a bit ;).
I thought it might be done upstream by enabling CONFIG_AUTOBOOT_KEYED
by default, thus a BBB specific uEnv.txt could configure a stop/delay
string using "bootdelaykey"/"bootstopkey" at boot time. This shouldn't
affect other systems.

That being said, I still regard this as a hardware issue on BBB. Hope
some of the hardware guys are following the discussion trying to
figure out from where the spurious characters are originating.

- --
    Mikkel
      \_/
keybase.io/mikini