On Friday 27 February 2015 17:23:31 Bruce Gibson wrote:
> I'm running the client server example programs from Derek Molloy's fine
> book (chapter 10). I've put the server on the beaglebone and the client on
> a separate Linux PC.
>
> Server code:
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
>    cout << "Starting EBB Server Example" << endl;
>    SocketServer server(54321);
>    cout << "Listening for a connection..." << endl;
>    server.listen();
>    string rec = server.receive(1024);
>    cout << "Received from the client [" << rec << "]" << endl;
>    string message("The Server says thanks!");
>    cout << "Sending back [" << message << "]" << endl;
>    server.send(message);
>    cout << "End of EBB Server Example" << endl;
> }
>
> Client Code:
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
>    if(argc!=2){
>       cout << "Incorrect usage: " << endl;
>       cout << "   client server_name" << endl;
>       return 2;
>    }
>    cout << "Starting EBB Client Example" << endl;
>    SocketClient sc(argv[1], 54321);
>    sc.connectToServer();
>    string message("Hello from the Client");
>    cout << "Sending [" << message << "]" << endl;
>    sc.send(message);
>    string rec = sc.receive(1024);
>    cout << "Received [" << rec << "]" << endl;
>    cout << "End of EBB Client Example" << endl;
> }
>
> The examples work great when I plug the BBB directly using the Ethernet
> port. The client talks to the Ethernet port at 192.168.1.36.
>
> I've also setup wireless to work on the BBB using an Edimax dongle. It
> shows up at 192.168.1.38. If I run the client pointing to the wireless
> address it doesn't work.
>
> If I plug the Ethernet cable back into the BBB with the wireless dongle
> also attached... the wireless address 192.168.1.38 now starts working with
> the client. The wireless otherwise seems fine. I can ping & wget using just
> the dongle attached (no Ethernet plugged in).
>
> Any suggestions? Not sure how I would even debug this?
>
> Thanks,
When you try the wireless, did you disable the ethernet connection?  This
is not just disconnecting it, but also ifdown.  Unless you have something
link ifplugd installed the ethernet connection still exists when the cable
is disconnected - it judt does not work.  So either install ifplugd or use
ifdown when you disconnect the cable.

David