Enter 'lsmod' at the command line to see what kernel driver modules got
loaded.

Also, you can enter 'lsusb' to see the devices detected on the USB port:

user@beagleboneblack:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un
802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
user@beagleboneblack:~$

It becomes very apparent what chipset a device uses.

Keep in mind that many people have good luck with the Realtek dongles.
 That wasn't the case for me though.