I downloaded the image from here a couple days ago:
http://beagleboard.org/latest-images
md5: c848627722b7a5f7bc89791cc8949e3b
File name:
bone-debian-7.8-lxde-4gb-armhf-2015-03-01-4gb

It's not doing the cylon scan.  :-) I love that show by the way.

According to the reference manual I am getting a heart beat and an activity
indicator after only a couple minutes just like you do after a normal boot.
>From the reference manual:
Page 26:
 USER0 is the heartbeat indicator from the Linux kernel.
 USER1 turns on when the microSD card is being accessed
 USER2 is an activity indicator. It turns on when the kernel is not in the
idle loop.
 USER3 turns on when the onboard eMMC is being accessed. I'm relatively
certain

USER0 is flashing a double flash every second or so.  USER2 is filckering.
This occurs just a couple minutes after I release the boot button.

Based on this and the fact that I get into Cloud 9 at this point and get
2015-03-01 version when I check, I am relatively certain its booting from
the card, but not flashing.

Thanks for the help.