Adding to this;

If I remove the compiled dtbo file from /lib/firmware directory and
power-off/power-on the board running manual insert "echo BB-BONE-AUDI-02 >
/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots" gives error write error: File Exists and
dmesg shows BB-BONE-AUDI-02 conflict gpio1_19 (#3:BB-BONE-LCD4-01) where I
expect it to throw error stating No such file or directory. I validated
expected error by trying

echo BB-BONE-AUDI-03 > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots which does give
expected error of "write error: No such file or directory"