Hi all,

I've deployed a number of Beagle Bone black units in West Africa as part of
an emergency connectivity relief effort to support NGOs working to fight
the Ebola outbreak.  The beaglebones are providing a simple network
monitoring function.

The beaglebones were imaged in November with the Ubuntu flasher downloaded
from here http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Flasher  (The version of the
image is BBB-eMMC-flasher-ubuntu-14.04.1-console-armhf-2014-10-29-2gb.img)

I'm having an issue with a few of the beaglebones hanging unpredictably,
and I know I should provide some more information to help diagnose...but
I'm having a hard time finding any "smoking gun" of what's causing the
hang.  The beaglebones are in remote telco sheds monitoring network
equipment - so one of my challenges is that I don't have a monitor
connected or anyone I can ask "whats on the screen."  Fortunately I do have
the ability to power cycle remotely (see below).

Here's what I know:

   1. The beaglebones have not been modified much at all from the standard
   base flasher image.  Just a few monitoring tools I've added from apt
   packages (smokeping and zabbix-proxy)  I use these tools elsewhere, and
   I've never had an issues with them hanging a system.
   2. The systems run for weeks at a time just fine
   3. At some point, the systems in question will "hang".  They stop
   responding to pings, but the ethernet port of the router they are connected
   to still shows a link light.
   4. Because I have the beaglebone connected to a remote manageable power
   strip / PDU, I am able to power cycle the beaglebone when this happens.
    This causes the unit to boot normally, and it functions normally before
   the problem reoccurs another few weeks later.

Each beaglebone is powered by a dedicated 5V / 1A power supply connected to
its barrel connector.  Other equipment at the site does not hang or reboot
- so I know the beaglebone hang does not coincide with a power issue at the
site.

Can anyone give me any tips on diagnosing this?  I can see the time of hang
and powercycle in dmesg and syslog....but there's no hint there as to what
happened.  Everything was "all conditions normal" before the hang.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Thanks so much - any help greatly appreciated!