In that case, well either case really. You need to learn about and setup
what is known as DNS Masquerading on the Ubuntu host. Something that is
fairly complex for a beginner

Something like this:
http://robotic-controls.com/learn/beaglebone/beaglebone-internet-over-usb-only

But you probably only need to use the "on Linux computer " steps. Which
would be on your Ubuntu host.