> *Now . . . how well the adafruit BBIO library / driver plays with
> universal IO, I'm not sure . . .*

To clarify this some what. The idea would be to use one of the universal IO
device tree blobs. Configure the pins for SPIx, and then reconfigure the
pins when done with them. If that will help.

However with the above said. It is hard for me to believe that a library /
driver set such as this does not have resource reclaiming built in. As I am
not familiar with it, I can not say for sure one way or the other. Perhaps
the maintainer of the library could shed some light on the subject ?