So, last night I was bored and got around to toying with debootstrap(
again, but first time in a while ). I'm curious how you Robert get such a
small barefs. I have not read your scripts in their entirety, but it stands
to reason with a little bit of help from google I should be able to get
close. But this has not been the case so far.

Basically what I did once in the chroot was as follows . . .

   - export LANG=C
   - /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
   - apt-get purge tasksel info install-info vim-common vim-tiny man-db
   manpages aptitude
   - apt-get autoremove
   - apt-get clean
   - rm -rf /usr/share/man/??
   - rm -rf /usr/share/man/??_*
   - apt-get install localepurge deborphan debfoster
   - localepurge
   - rm -rf /usr/share/doc/
   - rm -rf /usr/share/doc-base/
   - dpkg --purge man-db manpages
   - rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists

Then as a test, just to see if it could be done . . .

   - wget --no-check-certificate

https://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf/v3.8.13-bone68/linux-image-3.8.13-bone68_1wheezy_armhf.deb
   - dpkg -i linux-image-3.8.13-bone68_1wheezy_armhf.deb // Cheating ?
   testing if this works . . .hah!
   - rm linux-image-3.8.13-bone68_1wheezy_armhf.deb
   - rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists
   - deborphan --guess-all
   - apt-get autoremove --purge
   - apt-get clean

So . . .

root@darkness:/# *du -hsx * | sort -rh | head -10*
58M     usr
42M     lib
8.1M    boot
7.6M    var
3.6M    sbin
3.6M    bin
1.5M    etc
32K     root
28K     run
8.0K    dev

What am I missing here ? A couple packages, purgelocales deborphan etc, but
this seems large for a stripped  down debootstrap rootfs. Including
modules, and kernel.