On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 9:12 PM, William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, last night I was bored and got around to toying with debootstrap( again,
>> but first time in a while ). I'm curious how you Robert get such a small
>> barefs. I have not read your scripts in their entirety, but it stands to
>> reason with a little bit of help from google I should be able to get close.
>> But this has not been the case so far.
>
> Oh, lots of 'little' things.. ;)
>

>> Basically what I did once in the chroot was as follows . . .
>>
>> export LANG=C
>> /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
>> apt-get purge tasksel info install-info vim-common vim-tiny man-db manpages
>> aptitude
>> apt-get autoremove
>> apt-get clean
>> rm -rf /usr/share/man/??
>> rm -rf /usr/share/man/??_*
>> apt-get install localepurge deborphan debfoster
>> localepurge
>> rm -rf /usr/share/doc/
>> rm -rf /usr/share/doc-base/
>> dpkg --purge man-db manpages
>> rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists
>>
>> Then as a test, just to see if it could be done . . .
>>
>> wget --no-check-certificate
>> https://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf/v3.8.13-bone68/linux-image-3.8.13-bone68_1wheezy_armhf.deb
>> dpkg -i linux-image-3.8.13-bone68_1wheezy_armhf.deb // Cheating ? testing if
>> this works . . .hah!
>> rm linux-image-3.8.13-bone68_1wheezy_armhf.deb
>> rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists
>> deborphan --guess-all
>> apt-get autoremove --purge
>> apt-get clean
>>

>> So . . .
>>
>> root@darkness:/# du -hsx * | sort -rh | head -10
>> 58M     usr
>
> From /usr/ nuke:
>
> /usr/share/locale/*
> /usr/share/man/*
> /usr/share/doc/*
>
>> 42M     lib
>> 8.1M    boot
>> 7.6M    var
>> 3.6M    sbin
>> 3.6M    bin
>> 1.5M    etc
>> 32K     root
>> 28K     run
>> 8.0K    dev
>>
>> What am I missing here ? A couple packages, purgelocales deborphan etc, but
>> this seems large for a stripped  down debootstrap rootfs. Including modules,
>> and kernel.
>
> apt:
>
> (don't store apt cache, this slows things down, but saves lots of space)
>
> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02nocache
> 02nocache
> Dir::Cache {
>   srcpkgcache "";
>   pkgcache "";
> }
>
> ( similar to apt-get clean, but automatic)
>
> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02apt-get-clean
> #Custom apt-get clean
> DPkg::Post-Invoke { "rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
> [...]

btw, for about a week i was playing with removing even more utils by
using busybox.

But kept running into issues:

(current list)

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/scripts/chroot.sh#L502

I'm hoping later versions of busybox/toybox could helps us create a
debian image that's even smaller..

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/