On 8/4/2015 12:36 PM, Nicholas Piegdon wrote:
> Thanks for the super fast reply, Charles!  (And thanks for
> beaglebone-universal-io.  It makes development on the BBB
> actually-approachable!)
>
> I have access to the device now, so here is the real error message:
>
> (This is after a reboot, make, make install, and echoing the universal cape
> to the cape manager)
>
> # ./config-pin -a P9_42 ecapin
> bash: line 0: echo: write error: No such device
>
> Tracking it down a bit, I can produce the same message by doing what
> config-pin is trying to do:
>
> /sys/devices/ocp.3/P9_42_pinmux.47# echo ecapin > state
> bash: echo: write error: No such device
>
> So now my question is which magic word does "state" want to see?  (Things
> like "gpio" and "pwm" work just fine there.)  I had picked "ecapin" to try
> and match the style of the other names.  Is there a premade identifier
> someplace that has to be used instead or is that free-form text that just
> has to match the line in dts?

It just has to match what you put in DTS.

> Is this something that needs to be added to the kernel before it will work?
> (I'm using 3.8.13-bone73.)

My guess is you're actually using the unmodified overlay and not your
tweaked version.  If so, you're tripping over the pre-compiled DT
overlays included in the kernel.

The workaround is to rename your modified *.dtbo overlay file to
something new so it won't be found in the compiled-in list and the
kernel will look for the file in /dev/firmware.

...or update the kernel source and build a new kernel.  ;-)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net