I just thought I'd toss this out there though.

Over the last 2-3 months I've been working on a project that Involves
socketCAN, and forming NEMA 2000 fastpackets from socketCAN frames in real
time. Then pushing the data in the form of JSON out a webserver ( web
sockets ), in real time as well.

So up until last night I was working on all this in a quad core 4 GB RAM
virtual machine( virtualbox ).  canplayer was eating up around 58% CPU on a
single core, while my two processes were taking around 8% between the two.
quad cores - 3Ghz.

Imagine my surprise last night that canplayer only uses 2% CPU, and the two
processes I'm working on use 0% - In fact, the webserver only shows up in
atop about half the time- heh.

My point is: The beaglebone may not have but 1/3 the CPU frequency, and a
LOT less memory. It may also do some things such as compile large projects
slower, or even sometimes a lot slower. But do not let it fool you. It is
still a beast.