Right, Google did not yield any direct answers but a few pointers here and
there.
After messing up my rootfs a couple of times trying different things, I am
back to square one.
I have discovered that although the "debian" user is member of video and
input groups, it only helps in terms of running ts_calibrate and ts_test
programs, launching any qt 5.5 program with eglfs, just terminates with
failure message that egl could not be initialized - there is no message
about permissions or anything else (like running a system command without
sudo, you get a command not found error)

Launching program with sudo actually runs the program but with various
warnings about environment variables that need to be set in order for qt to
know the physical screen size.
logging in as debian and doing su, then launching program, everything works
100%, no errors, warnings or anything else.
So in my limited knowledge of linux, i have come to the conclusion that all
the problems above are due to permissions.

1. How can I determine where the permission failure is happening?
2. How would I grant the correct permissions for user "debian" to be able
to run the qt program

Any advice, pointers, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob