Thanks for the info. Even though it's slightly smaller, the images I tried
to flash are ~2.1 GB. I would think the smaller size limit shouldn't make a
difference, or is that not entirely correct?

I am only familiar with cloning using the dd method used here:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBone_Black_Extracting_eMMC_contents.

Can rsync clone the disc image similar to the dd method? Could you please
point me to some references/examples of proper use of rsync to clone a
production beaglebone to another beaglebone using a micro SD card?