In the comments from the linked article you have this message:

which cape is this tutorial for? I also have several TowerTech Can capes.
> http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=TT3201_CAN_Cape

To which the original author responds:

I did not use any cape when making this tutorial, I simply hooked up a CAN
> transceiver to the relevant pins. However, I see now reason why it
> shouldn't work with the cape, it may simply be a device tree conflict.

Note the need for a CAN transceiver. If you don't get this, you can't even
start.